South Carolina Genealogical Society
Fairfield County Chapter
The Fairfield Chapter is one of 17 chapters of the South Carolina Genealogical Society. The State Society was founded in 1970 and currently has over 2,000 members. A person who joins the Fairfield Chapter is automatically a member of the South Carolina Genealogical Society, which is a nonprofit, tax exempt organization. The SCGS was chartered by the Secretary of State for South Carolina. The Internal Revenue Code, Section 501 (c) (3) allows tax deductions for the value of material donated to the chapter.
The Chapter directs its own activities as a member of the parent society. The Chapter's publications are of particular interest to the geographical area, while the Society's publications seek to serve the entire state. Through these publications, members may seek or share genealogical information.
The mission of the Fairfield County Genealogical Society is:
- to promote genealogy through education of its members and the general public;
- to improve access to genealogical information in Fairfield County by maintaining an educational research center;
- to foster collaboration among members
- to assist those researching their Fairfield County ancestors;
- to conduct periodic educational programs and conferences to explore cultural, genealogical, and historical topics;
- to disseminate cultural, genealogical, historical and biographical information to members and to the general public.
The Fairfield Chapter of the South Carolina Genealogical Society is a member of the following organizations
|National Genealogical Society||Federation of Genealogical Societies||Fairfield Community Coordinating Council||Fairfield County Chamber of Commerce|